Classic madeleines are scented with vanilla bean and orange zest and then dipped in a bright cranberry glaze.
For the Madeleines
- 8 tablespoons (113 g) Unsalted butter, really softened and cut into 8 pieces 8 tablespoons (113 g) Unsalted butter, really softened and cut into 8 pieces
- 2 large Eggs, room temperature 2 large Eggs, room temperature
- C&H® Granulated Sugar 2⁄3 cup (128 g) 2⁄3 cup (128 g) C&H® Granulated Sugar
- 1 tablespoon (9 g) Orange zest 1 tablespoon (9 g) Orange zest
- ½ Vanilla bean split and scraped or 1 teaspoon real vanilla extract ½ Vanilla bean split and scraped or 1 teaspoon real vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon (15 g) Whole milk, room temperature 1 tablespoon (15 g) Whole milk, room temperature
- ¾ cup (101 g) All-purpose flour ¾ cup (101 g) All-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Baking powder 1⁄2 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Sea salt 1⁄2 teaspoon Sea salt
For the Cranberry Glaze
- C&H® Confectioners Sugar 1 1⁄4 cups (150 g) sifted 1 1⁄4 cups (150 g) sifted C&H® Confectioners Sugar
- 1 tablespoon (15 g) Unsweetened cranberry juice 1 tablespoon (15 g) Unsweetened cranberry juice
To make the cookies, grease two 3 1⁄4 x 1 1⁄2–inch (8.3 x 3.7–cm) nonstick madeleine tins and place in the freezer for at least 30 minutes. If your room temperature butter isn’t soft enough to easily smear on a plate, then give it 10 seconds on high in the microwave to give it the correct consistency. Set aside.
In an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whisk the eggs and sugar on high for about 5 minutes, or until pale yellow and thick. Add in the milk, orange zest and vanilla and run the machine on low for 1 minute more.
In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the flour mixture and softened butter to the egg mixture and run the mixer on low for about 40 seconds. The mixture will be smooth and creamy with some small butter bits visible. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and store in the fridge for at least several hours or ideally overnight.
Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
Add 1 tablespoon of batter to each madeleine well. Place the batter in the deep end of each well, not the middle. Do not smooth or flatten.
Bake one tin at a time in the center rack of the oven for 10 minutes. When done, the madeleines will be golden around the edges and puffed up in the middle. Let the cookies cool in the tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a rack. Place some parchment underneath the cooling rack.
To make the glaze, in a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar and cranberry juice. Dip each madeleine in the glaze, letting the excess glaze fall back into the bowl, and then place the cookie back on the rack for the glaze to set. If using the demerara sprinkles, sprinkle some over the glaze. Enjoy asap!! xo
Make sure your madeleine tin is well greased; ideally use nonstick for best results.