Perfect for adding flavor to your favorite carved meats, this delightful addition combines the savory flavors of traditional white gravy with a fresh kick of jalapenos and zesty orange.
- 2 tablespoons butter 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon flour 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup chicken or turkey broth or stock 1 cup chicken or turkey broth or stock
- C&H® Demerara Cane Sugar 2 tablespoons 2 tablespoons C&H® Demerara Cane Sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup orange juice 1 cup orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon ground jalapeño powder ¼ teaspoon ground jalapeño powder
- Salt, as needed, depending on broth or stock used Salt, as needed, depending on broth or stock used
- Optional: 1 tablespoon freshly minced sage and/or curly parsley Optional: 1 tablespoon freshly minced sage and/or curly parsley
In medium saucepot over medium heat, melt butter.
Stir in flour; then, continue stirring and cooking for 5 minutes. Reduce heat, if necessary, to keep mixture from browning.
Slowly stir or whisk in broth or stock and then C&H Demerara. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer.
While gravy is simmering, use a bowl or cup to whisk cornstarch into orange juice; then, whisk into simmering gravy with poultry seasoning and jalapeño powder.
Increase heat to medium and, stirring constantly, bring gravy to a boil. Boil while stirring, 1-2 minutes, until gravy thickens.
Adjust seasoning and serve immediately or hold warm in a double boiler until ready to serve.
An equal amount of flour and butter cooked together is called “roux”. There are many types of roux, but this recipe calls for a blonde roux, which will be used to thicken the gravy, but should not have any color to it.
Jalapeño powder is a flavorful substitution for white or ground black pepper and complements the C&H Demerara and orange juice flavors.