These strawberries and cream donuts are soft baked donuts topped with a sweet strawberry cream icing. These donuts can be enjoyed all year round!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon Baking powder ¾ teaspoon Baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon Salt ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 1/3 cup C&H® Granulated Sugar 1/3 cup C&H® Granulated Sugar
- 1/3 cup Sour cream 1/3 cup Sour cream
- 3 Tablespoons Heavy cream 3 Tablespoons Heavy cream
- 2 Tablespoons Melted butter 2 Tablespoons Melted butter
- 1 Large egg 1 Large egg
- ½ teaspoon Almond extract ½ teaspoon Almond extract
- ½ cup Chopped freeze-dried strawberries ½ cup Chopped freeze-dried strawberries
- 1 cup C&H® Powdered Sugar 1 cup C&H® Powdered Sugar
- ¼ cup Powdered freeze dried strawberries ¼ cup Powdered freeze dried strawberries
- 3-4 Tablespoons Heavy cream 3-4 Tablespoons Heavy cream
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease two 6-cup donut tins and set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the C&H® Granulated Sugar, sour cream, heavy cream, melted butter, egg and almond extract. Pour wet ingredients into bowl of dry ingredients and mix just until combined. Stir in chopped freeze-dried strawberries.
Transfer batter to a frosting bag with a 1-inch hole and pipe the batter into prepared donut pans (you can also spoon the batter into the pans).
Bake the donuts for 12 to 14 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a donut comes out with little to no crumbs. Allow the donuts to cool in the pans for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Make the icing.
Using a mesh sieve over a mixing bowl, sift together the C&H® Powdered Sugar and powdered freeze dried strawberries (discard any large clumps). Add heavy cream and whisk until smooth. Add more heavy cream one tablespoon at a time if a thinner icing consistency is desired. Dip the tops of the donuts into the icing and set on a serving plate. Enjoy!
- To make powdered freeze-dried strawberries, either finely chop the strawberries by hand or use a food processor. Any larger bits will be discarded when sifted.
- Vanilla extract may be substituted for almond extract if necessary for nut allergies.
- Store strawberries and cream donuts in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.