Cool, mellow, and delicious, this vanilla pudding is anything but ordinary. Prepared with C&H® Light Brown Sugar, this recipe pairs well with after-school playdates.
- 1 cup milk 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons plus1 teaspoon cornstarch 2 tablespoons plus1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup half and half cream 1 cup half and half cream
- ½ cup C&H® Light Brown Sugar, packed ½ cup C&H® Light Brown Sugar, packed
- 2 large egg yolks 2 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened 2 tablespoons butter, softened
In a bowl or measuring cup, whisk milk together with cornstarch and salt until cornstarch dissolves.
Whisk cream and sugar together over medium heat in a 1 ½ quart sauce pot and bring to a boil; then whisk cornstarch mixture in until mixture comes to a boil again. Reduce heat to medium low and whisk at least 2 minutes and until thickened. Remove pot from heat.
In a bowl or measuring cup, whisk egg yolks then whisk about ½ cup of the thickened milk mixture into the egg yolks to temper them.
Whisk the egg yolk mixture into the pot and heat, whisking constantly, until mixture reaches a minimum of 160 F. Do not boil or the pudding will curdle.
Stir in vanilla and butter until blended.
Transfer pudding into a clean bowl or individual serving dishes. Place a piece of plastic wrap directly over the surface.
Chill until cold before serving; at least an hour.
If chilled in a bowl, pudding can be whipped before serving.