Tender and flaky peach scones perfect for breakfast or afternoon tea. Enjoy warm out of the oven with a little butter on top.
- 2 cups All-purpose flour 2 cups All-purpose flour
- C&H® Granulated Sugar 1/4 cup 1/4 cup C&H® Granulated Sugar
- 3 teaspoons Baking powder 3 teaspoons Baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 stick Unsalted butter, cold and diced 1 stick Unsalted butter, cold and diced
- 1 teaspoon Freshly grated lemon zest 1 teaspoon Freshly grated lemon zest
- 2/3 cup Heavy cream, cold 2/3 cup Heavy cream, cold
- 1 cup Fresh peaches, diced 1 cup Fresh peaches, diced
- 2 large Eggs 2 large Eggs
- 2 teaspoons Water 2 teaspoons Water
- C&H® Demerara Cane Sugar 2 tablespoons 2 tablespoons C&H® Demerara Cane Sugar
Preheat oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a medium bowl, combine flour, C&H Granulated Sugar, baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry blender or a fork, cut the cold butter into the flour mixture until the butter is the size of peas.
In a small cup, mix lemon zest, 1 egg, and cold cream. Add all at once to the flour mixture stirring until moistened. Add the diced peaches.
Dump the dough into a well-floured surface. Knead the dough 3 or 4 times and form into a ball. Press into a circle, about 1-inch thick. Cut scones with a 3-inch round cookie cutter. Place scones on the prepared baking sheet. Form leftover dough into a ball and press into a circle, cut additional scones and place on baking sheet.
Prepare an egg wash with the remaining egg and water. Brush the scones with the egg wash and sprinkle with C&H Turbinado Sugar.
Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown and scones are firm to the touch. Remove from oven and allow the scones to cool down.
Prepare a glaze to drizzle over your scones by stirring together 2 cups of C&H Powdered Sugar and 1 to 2 teaspoons of milk.
1 large peach will yield about 1 cup of diced peaches. If you are using fresh peaches, dice them and freeze before use. This allows for a colder dough, producing flakier scones.