A vanilla-bean ice cream base with graham cracker crumbs, chocolate flecks and charred petite marshmallows.
For the Chocolate
- ¾ cup (128g) Dark chocolate, finely chopped ¾ cup (128g) Dark chocolate, finely chopped
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) Heavy Whipping Cream ⅓ cup (80 ml) Heavy Whipping Cream
For the Ice Cream
- 2 cups (473ml) Heavy whipping cream, cold 2 cups (473ml) Heavy whipping cream, cold
- 3 large Eggs 3 large Eggs
- 1/2 cup (96g) C&H® Baker's Sugar 1/2 cup (96g) C&H® Baker's Sugar
- ½ Vanilla bean, split and scraped or 2 teaspoons real vanilla extract ½ Vanilla bean, split and scraped or 2 teaspoons real vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon Sea salt 1 teaspoon Sea salt
- 1/2 cup Graham crackers (about 4 graham crackers), coarsely chopped 1/2 cup Graham crackers (about 4 graham crackers), coarsely chopped
- 2 heaping cups (126g) Mini marshmallows 2 heaping cups (126g) Mini marshmallows
To Melt the Chocolate:
In a medium, heat-safe bowl add the chocolate and ⅓ cup heavy whipping cream and set over a medium saucepan of simmering water. Do not let the bowl touch the water or let the water boil. Stir frequently until melted and smooth. Place a towel on the counter, take the bowl off of the heat and pour into another bowl. Set aside and stir periodically as the chocolate cools. Clean the bowl.
To Make the Ice Cream:
In an electric stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, add the cold whipped cream and whisk on medium until it’s holding stiff peaks; depending on the speed of your mixer it should take about 3 minutes. Take care not to over beat the cream or you’ll turn it to butter. Add to a metal or ceramic loaf pan, cover and place in the fridge to keep chilled. Clean and dry the mixer bowl and whisk.
Add the eggs and 1/2 cup C&H® Baker’s Sugar to the mixer bowl and set over a medium saucepan of simmering water. Do not let the bowl touch the water or let the water boil. Whisk until the mixture is frothy, opaque and when rubbed between two fingers you don’t feel any grit from the sugar; about 4-6 minutes. Place the bowl in the mixer stand fitted with the whisk attachment, add the vanilla bean and sea salt and whisk on medium until the mixture has tripled in volume and is no longer warm.
Once the egg and sugar mixture is cool to the touch, gently fold it into the chilled whipped cream until just combined. Fold in the marshmallows and crumbled graham crackers. Add 1/3 of the ice cream to the loaf pan and drizzle with 1/3 of the chocolate and repeat until all of the ice cream, chocolate, graham crackers + marshmallows are in the pan. Don’t let the chocolate get too thick in spots or it will be difficult to scoop later. Wrap tightly with foil and place in the freezer for a minimum of 6 hours, ideally overnight. Let soften slightly for 10 minutes on the counter prior to scooping.
Can be made with a hand-held mixer or with a whisk, bowl and your well-toned arms!
To keep your ice cream safe, bring the egg + sugar mixture to 160F (71C) and use pasteurized eggs.
If you’d like the marshmallows to be toasty, turn on the broiler in your oven, line a baking sheet with foil and grease. Sprinkle the prepared baking sheet with the marshmallows and place in the oven until they are lightly charred (or take it as far as you’d like); this shouldn’t take more than a minute. Set aside to cool before adding to your ice cream.