Key Lime Pie
about 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon lime rind, grated
- green food coloring
- 1 9-inch baked pastry shell
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons C&H® Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 lime slice, for garnish
Mix gelatin, 1/2 cup sugar and salt in saucepan. Beat egg yolks, lime juice and water together. Stir into gelatin mixture. Bring mixture to a boil on medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; add grated lime rind. Add a few drops of food coloring to tint mixture a pale green. Chill in refrigerator until mixture coats a metal spoon (about 20 minutes).
Beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Fold gelatin mixture into egg whites. Fold in 1 cup Whipped Cream. Place in pastry shell.
Chill until firm. Garnish with twisted lime slice. Serve with remaining Whipped Cream.
Combine cream, sugar and vanilla in a chilled medium mixing bowl. Beat on medium-high speed until soft peaks form. Can be refrigerated for up to 2 hours.