This delicious cake is prepared with almond flour. Exquisite almond and lemon flavors shine in this perfect after dinner cake.
- ½ stick Unsalted butter ½ stick Unsalted butter
- 6 large Eggs, separated into yolks and whites 6 large Eggs, separated into yolks and whites
- C&H® Quick Dissolve Superfine Sugar 1 cup 1 cup C&H® Quick Dissolve Superfine Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Freshly grated lemon zest 2 teaspoons Freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons Freshly squeezed lemon juice 2 teaspoons Freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Almond extract 1 teaspoon Almond extract
- 2 ¾ cups Almond flour 2 ¾ cups Almond flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons Baking powder 1 ½ teaspoons Baking powder
- 2 tablespoons Slivered almonds 2 tablespoons Slivered almonds
- 1 tablespoon C&H® Turbinado Sugar 1 tablespoon C&H® Turbinado Sugar
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour one 8-inch round pan.
Melt butter in the microwave and set aside.
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment beat at medium speed egg yolks, ½ cup of sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, and almond extract for 4 minutes. Reduce the speed of the mixer and add the melted butter to the mixture until incorporated.
Add almond flour and baking powder to the egg yolk mixture and mix until combined.
In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites and remaining ½ cup of sugar until medium peaks form. Add 1/3 third of the egg white mixture to the egg yolk-flour mixture and mix to loosen up the batter. Gently fold the rest of the egg white mixture onto the egg yolk-flour mixture.
Pour batter onto the prepared pan. Sprinkle slivered almonds and turbinado sugar on top and bake for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Gently remove from pan and transfer to a cooling rack.
Serve the cake with sweetened whipped cream.