Satisfy your sweet tooth first thing in the morning with our favorite French toast recipe using the quality flavor of C&H® Granulated Sugar.
C&H® Granulated Pure Cane Sugar
This all-purpose sugar is ideal for table use, baking, preserving, canning, and for sweetening beverages.
- ½ lb. loaf French or Italian bread ½ lb. loaf French or Italian bread
- 4 eggs 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup half and half 1/4 cup half and half
- 2 tablespoons C&H® Granulated Sugar 2 tablespoons C&H® Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup C&H® Granulated Sugar 1/2 cup C&H® Granulated Sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup unsweetened (not concentrate) cranberry or cherry juice 1/4 cup unsweetened (not concentrate) cranberry or cherry juice
- 3 cups of mixed blueberries, raspberries, cherries, pitted cherries, and blackberries, fresh or frozen 3 cups of mixed blueberries, raspberries, cherries, pitted cherries, and blackberries, fresh or frozen
Cut bread loaf in 1/2 –inch thick slices and set aside.
In a large, wide mixing bowl whisk together eggs with half and half, sugar, and vanilla.
Press bread pieces into egg mixture until all the bread is in the mixture.
Melt butter and oil together in a large saute pan over medium heat then pour 2 tablespoons of mixture into a small bowl.
Pan fry all pieces of bread for 2 minutes per side until golden brown. Add more of the butter and oil mixture as needed. Hold warm until ready to serve.
Whisk sugar, cornstarch, and juice together in a small saucepan over medium-high heat until mixture boils and thickens. Reduce heat, stir in the berries, and simmer, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes or until berries have burst. Keep warm until ready to serve.
Ladle 1/3 cup berry compote over each portion of French Toast.
Spice it up by adding up to 1 teaspoon cinnamon to egg mixture.
Skip the Overpriced Restaurant and Throw Brunch at Home
How to Pull Off the Ultimate Boozy Brunch
Set up a bar that puts even the best local joints to shame. Find out everything you need to craft a drink bar for the books.