A very elegant chocolate cake iced with dark chocolate ganache and filled with fig jam.
For the cake
- 1 1/3 cups All-purpose flour 1 1/3 cups All-purpose flour
- C&H® Dark Brown Sugar 1 ½ cups 1 ½ cups C&H® Dark Brown Sugar
- ½ cup Unsweetened cocoa powder ½ cup Unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon Baking powder ½ teaspoon Baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Baking soda ½ teaspoon Baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon Salt ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 2 large Eggs 2 large Eggs
- 2/3 cup Vegetable oil 2/3 cup Vegetable oil
- 1 cup Whole milk 1 cup Whole milk
For the chocolate ganache
- 14 ounces Bittersweet chocolate 70% cacao, finely chopped 14 ounces Bittersweet chocolate 70% cacao, finely chopped
- 1 ½ cups Heavy cream 1 ½ cups Heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons Unsalted butter, at room temperature 2 tablespoons Unsalted butter, at room temperature
For the fig jam
- C&H® Organic Raw Cane Sugar 1 cup 1 cup C&H® Organic Raw Cane Sugar
- 3 cups Fresh figs, chopped 3 cups Fresh figs, chopped
- 3 tablespoons Freshly squeezed orange juice 3 tablespoons Freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 ½ tablespoons Powdered pectin 1 ½ tablespoons Powdered pectin
- 3 to 4 Fresh figs, in halves 3 to 4 Fresh figs, in halves
Prepare the fig jam. Combine all the ingredients for the jam in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring constantly. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for about 45 minutes, stirring from time to time. The jam is ready when all the figs have broken down and it achieves a jam texture. Remove from heat and set aside. When jam is at room temperature, place in a disposable pastry bag. Set aside until ready to assemble the cake. When ready to use, cut the tip of the pastry bag to create an opening of about ½-inch.
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter the bottom and sides of two 7-inch round cake pans. Pour some cocoa powder in the pan and shake all over until evenly coated. Remove any excess by tapping the pans.
Sift all the dry ingredients into a large bowl, mix until well combined and set aside.
Whisk together all the wet ingredients in a medium bowl until well combined. Slowly, mix the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients using a spatula until a smooth batter forms. Make sure you remove any lumps from the batter.
Evenly distribute the batter into the prepared pans. Place in the oven and bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when you insert it in the center of the cake. Remove from the oven and allow cakes to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Remove cakes from pans and allow them to cool over a cooling rack.
Prepare the chocolate ganache. In a small saucepan, bring cream to a boil over medium heat. Remove from heat. Place the chocolate in a large bowl and slowly add the cream. Whisk the mixture until smooth. Add the butter and whisk until incorporated. Set the mixture aside until the ganache reaches room temperature and a spreadable consistency. Place the ganache in a disposable large pastry bag and cut the tip to create an opening of about 1-inch.
Assemble the cake. Using a large serrated knife cut both cakes horizontally as even as possible. Using both hands, place one layer on a serving platter. Pipe ganache on top of the cake and then pipe a smaller amount of fig jam. Place another layer of cake and repeat the process two more times. Finish the cake by icing top and sides with ganache and decorate with fresh figs.