A silky smooth vanilla custard baked in a buttery pie crust with a crisp sugar topping. Make this recipe by blogger Modern Honey.
- 3 Large Eggs 3 Large Eggs
- C&H® Organic Raw Cane Sugar 1 ½ cup 1 ½ cup C&H® Organic Raw Cane Sugar
- ½ cup Salted Butter (Melted) ½ cup Salted Butter (Melted)
- ½ cup Heavy Cream ½ cup Heavy Cream
- ½ cup Buttermilk ½ cup Buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract or Vanilla Bean Paste 2 teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract or Vanilla Bean Paste
- 4 tablespoons Flour 4 tablespoons Flour
- C&H® Organic Raw Cane Sugar (For sprinkling on pie) (For sprinkling on pie) C&H® Organic Raw Cane Sugar
All Butter Pie Crust
- ½ cup Unsalted Butter ½ cup Unsalted Butter
- 1 ¼ cup Flour 1 ¼ cup Flour
- ½ teaspoon Salt ½ teaspoon Salt
- 2 tablespoons to ¼ cup Buttermilk or Cold Water/Vinegar Mixture 2 tablespoons to ¼ cup Buttermilk or Cold Water/Vinegar Mixture
- ½ teaspoon Vinegar (if not using buttermilk) ½ teaspoon Vinegar (if not using buttermilk)
Homemade Whipped Cream
- 1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream 1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- C&H® Confectioners Sugar 2 tablespoons 2 tablespoons C&H® Confectioners Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla Extract ½ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
Preheat oven to 350F.
Filling: In a large bowl, whip together eggs and C&H® Organic Raw Cane Sugar for 2-3 minutes or until light and fluffy. Slowly add melted butter, a little at a time, to temper the eggs. Mix for 2 minutes longer. Stir in heavy cream, buttermilk, and vanilla extract. Fold in the flour.
Pie Crust: In a bowl, add flour, salt, and cubes of cold butter. With a fork or pastry cutter, cut the butter into the flour until coarse crumbs form. Add 1 Tablespoon of buttermilk or cold water at a time, mixing after each Tablespoon, until the pie dough comes together. Roll out pie crust dough into a circle. Place in a 9-inch pie plate and flute the edges. Pour creme brûlée pie batter into pie pan. Sprinkle with some C&H® Sugar all over the top.
Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, place a large piece of foil loosely over the top of the pie to make sure it doesn’t become too brown. Continue to bake for 15-20 minutes or until pie is a light golden-brown color on the top. The pie will still jiggle slightly but will set up in the refrigerator.
Let cool for about 15 minutes and then place in the refrigerator to chill for at least 2-3 hours. Serve with fresh whipped cream.
Whipped Cream: In a mixing bowl, whip heavy cream until soft peaks form. Stir in C&H® Confectioners Sugar. Add more sugar to taste.
Make sure to allot enough time for the pie to setup in the refrigerator. This can be made ahead of time, even overnight, and let it chill.