This ooey-gooey apple pie has a crust of fresh-baked cinnamon rolls as well as the filling of an apple crumble. Serve this decadent dessert after dinner, or as a deliciously sweet breakfast treat.
- 1 tablespoon melted butter 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 premade pie crust 1 premade pie crust
- C&H® Golden Brown Sugar 1/2 cup 1/2 cup C&H® Golden Brown Sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1½ tablespoons cornstarch 1½ tablespoons cornstarch
- 4-5 cored, peeled and thinly sliced or 3/8-inch chopped apples to make 6 cups total 4-5 cored, peeled and thinly sliced or 3/8-inch chopped apples to make 6 cups total
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons cold butter, cut into bits and held chilled until ready to use 2 tablespoons cold butter, cut into bits and held chilled until ready to use
Cinnamon Roll Topping
- 1 premade piecrust 1 premade piecrust
- 2 tablespoons melted butter 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons C&H® Golden Brown Sugar, packed 2 tablespoons C&H® Golden Brown Sugar, packed
Grease 9-inch tart pan or pie dish with 1 tablespoon melted butter; set aside.
Temper chilled pie crust dough 10-minutes.
Roll crust out on a lightly floured board to a 10-inch diameter round. Lay crust in prepared pan and flute edges.
Chill until ready to fill and bake.
Preheat oven to 375° F.
In a small bowl, whisk together sugar, cinnamon, salt and cornstarch. Use a knife to cut in the chilled butter bits.
In a large mixing bowl, stir apples and lemon juice together. Toss apples with sugar mixture until all of the apples are covered.
Cinnamon Roll Topping
Temper chilled pie crust dough 10 minutes. Roll crust out on a lightly floured board to a 12 X 12-inch square.
Cut the square in half. Brush both dough pieces with 1 tablespoon melted butter, reserving the rest.
In a small bowl, mix together cinnamon and brown sugar.
Sprinkle mixture over the butter, covering each piece to the ends.
Start from the long side of each dough piece and tightly roll into logs. Wrap each log in plastic wrap and chill.
Prepare apple filling while logs are chilling
Prepare the Pie
Pour the apple filling onto the prepared pie dough.
Remove the cinnamon roll topping logs from the refrigerator. Cut each log into 1/2-inch pieces of dough. Place on top of the apple filling making sure you cover the whole pie.
Bake for 50 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and place on top of a cooling rack. Cool completely.