Buttery apple blondies with the rich flavors of brown sugar, brown butter, and cinnamon.
Meet the Chef: Laura Kasavan
Tutti Dolci is a baking and desserts blog all about inspiring deliciousness. From easy weeknight baking to showstopper occasion recipes and modern twists on classic desserts, Laura's goal is to inspire her audience to bake from scratch and equip them to master baking at home.
- 1 1/2 cups apples, peeled and chopped 1 1/2 cups apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- C&H® Golden Brown Sugar 1/4 cup 1/4 cup C&H® Golden Brown Sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch nutmeg pinch nutmeg
- 10 Tbsp unsalted butter (for brown butter) 10 Tbsp unsalted butter (for brown butter)
- C&H® Golden Brown Sugar 1 1/4 cups 1 1/4 cups C&H® Golden Brown Sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 Tbsp heavy cream 1 Tbsp heavy cream
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cups flour 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1 Tbsp brown butter, reserved from above 1 Tbsp brown butter, reserved from above
- 1/8 tsp salt 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- pinch nutmeg pinch nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- C&H® Confectioners Sugar 3/4 cup 3/4 cup C&H® Confectioners Sugar
- 3 Tbsp heavy cream 3 Tbsp heavy cream
Preheat oven to 350°F and line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper.
Caramelize apples: Combine apples, butter, C&H® Golden Brown Sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until apples are golden and tender. Remove from heat and transfer apples to a bowl to cool slightly.
Brown butter: Place 10 tablespoons unsalted butter in saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until it foams, turns clear, and then turns a medium brown, about 5 minutes. Pour brown butter into a medium bowl, reserving 1 tablespoon brown butter for the glaze.
Make blondies: Combine brown butter, C&H® Golden Brown Sugar, egg, heavy cream, vanilla, and salt, whisking until smooth. Fold in flour until almost incorporated, then fold in caramelized apples.
Scrape batter into prepared pan and use a piece of parchment paper coated with nonstick spray to press batter evenly into pan; tap pan sharply to remove air bubbles.
Bake for 35 to 38 minutes, until golden and set in the middle, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few crumbs attached. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
Make glaze: Whisk together 1 tablespoon reserved brown butter (melted), salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, C&H® Confectioners Sugar, and heavy cream in a small bowl until smooth. Drizzle glaze over blondies and let set before serving.
Carefully lift parchment to remove bars from pan and place on a cutting board; cut into squares with a sharp knife.
Blondies can also be made with C&H® Dark Brown Sugar.