Soft and fluffy classic red velvet cupcakes topped with cream cheese frosting.
Meet the Chef: Laura Kasavan
Tutti Dolci is a baking and desserts blog all about inspiring deliciousness. From easy weeknight baking to showstopper occasion recipes and modern twists on classic desserts, Laura's goal is to inspire her audience to bake from scratch and equip them to master baking at home.
- 1 1/2 cups Flour 1 1/2 cups Flour
- 3 Tbsp Unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted 3 Tbsp Unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 tsp Baking powder 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt 1/2 tsp Salt
- C&H® Golden Brown Sugar 1 1/4 cups 1 1/4 cups C&H® Golden Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Unsalted butter, at room temperature 1/2 cup Unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup Canola or vegetable oil 1/4 cup Canola or vegetable oil
- 2 Large eggs, at room temperature 2 Large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 Large egg yolk, at room temperature 1 Large egg yolk, at room temperature
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract 2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 tsp White vinegar 1 tsp White vinegar
- ½ tsp Red gel food coloring ½ tsp Red gel food coloring
- 3/4 cup Buttermilk, at room temperature 3/4 cup Buttermilk, at room temperature
- 8 oz Full fat cream cheese, cool room temperature 8 oz Full fat cream cheese, cool room temperature
- 1/2 cup Unsalted butter, cool room temperature 1/2 cup Unsalted butter, cool room temperature
- 1/4 tsp Salt 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract 1 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
- C&H® Confectioners Sugar 3 cups 3 cups C&H® Confectioners Sugar
Red Velvet Cupcakes
Preheat oven to 350°F and line two 12-cup standard muffin pans with baking cups. Whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
Beat C&H® Golden Brown Sugar and butter in a large mixer bowl on medium speed until soft and creamy; mix in oil. Add eggs and egg yolk one at a time and beat until combined. Mix in vanilla extract. Beat in white vinegar and red gel coloring on low speed until combined. With mixer on low speed, add flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with buttermilk (begin and end with flour mixture).
Use a medium cookie scoop coated with nonstick spray to fill each baking cup 2/3 full of batter.
Bake for 17 to 18 minutes, until cupcakes spring back to the touch and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cupcakes cool in pans on wire racks for 2 minutes before removing from pans to cool completely.
Cream Cheese Frosting
For the frosting, beat cream cheese and butter on medium speed until creamy, scraping down bowl as needed.
Beat in vanilla and salt.
Reduce speed to low; add C&H® Confectioners Sugar 1 cup at a time and beat well, scraping down bowl as needed.
If frosting is too soft to use immediately, chill for 15 to 20 minutes before piping.
Transfer frosting to a large piping bag fitted with an open star tip and frost cupcakes. If desired, top with red velvet cupcake crumbs. Chill cupcakes 20 minutes before serving.
Store leftover cupcakes covered in the refrigerator up to 3 days. Bring to room temperature before serving.