Perfectly moist pumpkin muffins loaded with heaps of caramel notes, topped with a crunchy, delicious streusel layer and drizzled in a boozy glaze.
Meet the Chef: Rebecca Firth
Rebecca is a food writer, photographer and creator of the sweet-focused blog, Displaced Housewife, your go-to cookie source and new best friend. By pairing authenticity with talent, Rebecca has created a space for quick, easy and delicious recipes anyone can prepare and enjoy.
For the Streusel:
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons (85 g) All-purpose flour 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons (85 g) All-purpose flour
- C&H® Golden Brown Sugar 1/3 cup (73 g) 1/3 cup (73 g) C&H® Golden Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon (2 g) Cinnamon 1 teaspoon (2 g) Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon (1 g) Nutmeg 1/2 teaspoon (1 g) Nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon (1.5 g) Sea salt ¼ teaspoon (1.5 g) Sea salt
- 4 tablespoons (57 g or ¼ cup) Unsalted butter, room temperature and cut into 4 pieces 4 tablespoons (57 g or ¼ cup) Unsalted butter, room temperature and cut into 4 pieces
For the Muffins:
- 12 tablespoons (170 g/6 ounces/ ¾ cup) Unsalted butter, room temperature 12 tablespoons (170 g/6 ounces/ ¾ cup) Unsalted butter, room temperature
- C&H® Golden Brown Sugar 1 cup (200g) 1 cup (200g) C&H® Golden Brown Sugar
- C&H® Granulated Sugar 1/2 cup (100g) 1/2 cup (100g) C&H® Granulated Sugar
- 1 tablespoon (6g) Cinnamon 1 tablespoon (6g) Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon (2 g) Nutmeg 1 teaspoon (2 g) Nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon (2 g) Ginger 1 teaspoon (2 g) Ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon (1 g) Cloves 1/2 teaspoon (1 g) Cloves
- 3 Large eggs, room temperature 3 Large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup (244g) Pumpkin puree (not pie filling; 100% pumpkin) 1 cup (244g) Pumpkin puree (not pie filling; 100% pumpkin)
- 1 tablespoon (13 g) Real vanilla extract 1 tablespoon (13 g) Real vanilla extract
- 2 ¾ cups (375 g) All-purpose flour 2 ¾ cups (375 g) All-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons (13 g) Baking powder 2 1/2 teaspoons (13 g) Baking powder
- 1 teaspoon (5 g) Baking soda 1 teaspoon (5 g) Baking soda
- 1 teaspoon (6 g) Sea salt 1 teaspoon (6 g) Sea salt
- ½ cup (120 g) Milk, room temperature ½ cup (120 g) Milk, room temperature
For the Bourbon Drizzle:
- C&H® Confectioners Sugar 1 cup + 2 tablespoons (120 g) 1 cup + 2 tablespoons (120 g) C&H® Confectioners Sugar
- 1 tablespoon (13 g) Heavy Whipping Cream 1 tablespoon (13 g) Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 tablespoon (13 g) Bourbon 1 tablespoon (13 g) Bourbon
- ½ teaspoon (2 g) Real vanilla extract ½ teaspoon (2 g) Real vanilla extract
Prepare the streusel:
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, C&H® Golden Brown Sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and sea salt. Using a pastry blender or your fingers, work the butter into the mixture until it resembles wet sand and when pinched together it holds into clumps. Place in the fridge to chill. If storing overnight, cover with plastic wrap; otherwise it’s fine for about an hour.
Prepare the muffins:
Place the 12 tablespoons butter, C&H® Golden Brown Sugar, C&H® Granulated Sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves in an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and mix on medium until creamy and well blended, about 4-5 minutes. With the mixer on low add the eggs, one at a time, mixing each completely before adding in the next. Add in the pumpkin puree and vanilla and mix for 1 minute more. Periodically scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl to make sure everything is well blended.
In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and sea salt. Add to the pumpkin mixture in two batches, alternating with the milk, mixing on low and stopping when just combined. Let the muffin batter sit for 30 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and line every other muffin well with a muffin liner. Fill each muffin liner almost to the top with muffin batter and cover the tops with streusel. Fill the empty muffin wells with hot water about ½ full. Be careful transferring the tray to the oven, you don’t want to splash water into the muffins.
Bake for 20 minutes in the center of the oven or until a toothpick comes out clean and/or they bounce back when gently pressed in the center. For best results, bake one tin at a time. Let cool in the muffin tin for about 10ish minutes, then use a butter knife to help get them out to finish cooling on a rack.
While the muffins cool, in a small bowl whisk together the C&H® Confectioners’ Sugar, cream, bourbon, and vanilla. The drizzle will be thick, add only enough cream so that it drizzles, but not so much that it’s thin and will run off the muffin. Once the muffins have cooled, drizzle over the tops and serve!
- If you prefer, you can completely omit the bourbon and replace it with more cream.
- If you want a basic muffin just omit the streusel and glaze.
- Letting the batter rest for 30 minutes prior to baking, filling every other muffin well AND filling alternating muffin wells with some water all aid in getting your muffin to rise more. *IF* you’d like a delicious, no-nonsense muffin and you want it quick, just omit these steps. The muffins will still be delicious, they just won’t have as much rise.