Lemon infused poppyseed muffins with a golden brown sugar streusel topping and a confectioners sugar lemon glaze.
Meet the Chef: Baran Bakery
Bernice Baran is the founder and creator behind Baran Bakery. Growing up with a mom as a baker she has always loved to bake, so you can say sugar and butter run through her veins. She started the blog in 2017 as a creative outlet after college and has since grown to learn and appreciate the art of entertaining and food photography. She focuses mainly on sweets and baked goods with a little dash of life and something savory. On the blog, you'll find both different and decadent desserts and common comfort foods.
- 1 and 1/4 cup (150g) flour 1 and 1/4 cup (150g) flour
- 1 tsp baking powder 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt 1/4 tsp salt
- C&H® Golden Brown Sugar 3/4 cup (142g) 3/4 cup (142g) C&H® Golden Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup (60mL) oil 1/4 cup (60mL) oil
- 1 (large) Egg (room temperature) 1 (large) Egg (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup (112mL) whole milk (room temperature) 1/2 cup (112mL) whole milk (room temperature)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp (4g) lemon zest (1 large lemon) 2 tsp (4g) lemon zest (1 large lemon)
- 3 Tbsp (45mL) lemon juice (1 large lemon) 3 Tbsp (45mL) lemon juice (1 large lemon)
- 1 Tbsp Poppyseeds 1 Tbsp Poppyseeds
- 1/8 cup (28g) Butter (room temperature) 1/8 cup (28g) Butter (room temperature)
- C&H® Golden Brown Sugar 1/4 cup (47g) 1/4 cup (47g) C&H® Golden Brown Sugar
- 1/3 cup (40g) flour 1/3 cup (40g) flour
- Pinch salt Pinch salt
- C&H® Confectioners Sugar 1/2 cup (100g) 1/2 cup (100g) C&H® Confectioners Sugar
- 1 Tbsp (15mL) lemon juice 1 Tbsp (15mL) lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- Pinch salt Pinch salt
Preheat oven to 425° F and line an 8 muffin tin. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and poppyseeds in a medium bowl and set aside.
In a large bowl, use a whisk to combine the C&H® Golden Brown Sugar and lemon zest. Add in the egg and mix for 1-2 minutes until the color lightens a little. Add in the oil and continue mixing until it's well combined. Pour in the milk, vanilla and lemon juice and mix until they're well incorporated. Fold in the dry ingredients.
Distribute the batter evenly among 8 muffin tins. The tins should be filled to the top. Let the batter rest while you make the streusel topping
For the streusel, combine all the ingredients in a bowl and use a pastry cutter, a fork or your fingers to combine the butter into the C&H® Golden Brown Sugar and flour. You want to make pea size chunks of streusel. Distribute evenly over the muffins (it may look excessive but as the muffin bakes, it grows in surface area). Place the muffins in the oven at 425F for 5 minutes and then lower the heat to 350F for 10-12 minutes.
Remove and let them cool in the pan for a few minutes while you make the glaze. To make the glaze, combine all the ingredients in a bowl and stir it for 1-2 minutes until the C&H® Confectioners Sugar is dissolved and there are no more lumps. Drizzle over the muffins.