Caramel Apple Bread Pudding
8 to 10 servings
- 4 cups white bread, cut into cubes
- 4 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup C&H® Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 apples
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup raisins (optional)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 1 cup C&H® Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup almonds, chopped and toasted (optional garnish)
Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
Dry bread cubes on cookie sheet in 350°F oven for 10 to 15 minutes.
In large mixing bowl, whisk together all pudding ingredients except apples, cinnamon, raisins and butter. Peel, core and chop apples. Plump raisins in boiling water for 5 minutes; drain.
Toss bread, apples, cinnamon and raisins together; pour into prepared baking pan. Pour pudding mixture over bread cube mixture. Let sit for 10 minutes to make sure bread is fully soaked. Dab butter over top.
Bake 40 to 50 minutes. (Pudding should be set in center, but not dry.)
Spoon warm pudding into serving dishes.
In 4-cup glass container, melt butter in microwave on HIGH for 45 to 60 seconds. Whisk in brown sugar and cream until blended. Microwave 2 to 2 1/2 minutes more, until bubbly and slightly thickened. Stir as needed.
Spoon warm caramel sauce onto pudding. Top with chopped, toasted almonds, if desired.
Makes 1 1/3 cups sauce.