Yum Yum Yam Cookies
about 5 dozen cookies
- 1 cup C&H® Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh yams, cooked, mashed and cooled
- 1/2 cup raisins or dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup nuts (any kind), chopped
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease cookie sheets.
Beat sugar and shortening in large bowl until fluffy. Add egg and vanilla; mix well.
Stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices and salt in small bowl; gradually add to sugar mixture, alternating with yams. Beat until well mixed; stir in raisins and nuts. Drop batter on prepared cookie sheets, 2 inches apart.
Bake 12 to 15 minutes. Cool 2 minutes, then remove from cookie sheet to cooling racks. Cool completely.
Featured by Therese Neyrey Alberti of Chalmette, LA.
Canned yams may be used; however, the flavor and texture of the yam is better with fresh.
Walnuts and/or pecans work well in this recipe.