Texas-Style Barbecue Sauce
1 quart sauce
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (15 oz.) cans tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup packed C&H® Dark Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, celery and garlic; sauté, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 30 minutes.
Cool, cover and refrigerate until ready to use. Sauce will keep in refrigerator up to 2 weeks or in freezer up to 3 months.
Reserve some of the sauce in a separate container if you would like to serve it at the table as a dipping sauce.
Be sure to discard any sauce that comes in contact with any raw meat or poultry.