Tea Leaf Sugar Shortbread Cookies
about 4 dozen cookies
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) butter, unsalted
- 1 1/4 cups C&H® Granulated Sugar divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons loose tea leaves, such as Earl Grey
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg mixed with 1 tbsp. cold water (egg wash)
Cream butter, 1 cup sugar and vanilla together; add dry tea leaves. Add flour and salt; mix well.
Roll dough into 2 logs, each about 1 1/2 inches in diameter and 12 inches in length. Wrap logs in plastic wrap; chill at least 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
Unwrap chilled dough; brush with egg wash mixture. Roll logs in remaining 1/4 cup sugar. Slice dough into 1/3-inch thick cookies; place 1 inch apart on prepared baking sheets.
Bake about 15 to 18 minutes, until lightly golden around the edges. Cool completely.
Two tablespoons of loose tea leaves equal approximately 5 tea bags.
Dough will keep in the freezer for up to 1 month.