C&H® Dark Brown Sugar
To create flavor that's deep, rich, and real, use only C&H® Dark Brown Sugar. Its moistness and deep, rich molasses flavor make it ideal for full-flavored or savory recipes.
- 1 cup water 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup milk 1/4 cup milk
- 1 packet yeast 1 packet yeast
- 2 tablespoons canola oil 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 cup C&H® Dark Brown Sugar 1/4 cup C&H® Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons fine sea salt 1 ½ teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon vital wheat gluten 1 tablespoon vital wheat gluten
- 1 ¼ cups whole wheat flour 1 ¼ cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups bread flour 2 cups bread flour
- ½ cup bread flour for dusting and shaping as needed ½ cup bread flour for dusting and shaping as needed
Grain and Seeds Topping
- ¼ cup rolled oats ¼ cup rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon each white and black sesame seeds 1 teaspoon each white and black sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
Oil a large bowl and dampen a tea towel. Set aside
In small saucepot or microwaveable cup heat water and milk to 110 F. and add to stand mixer bowl. Stir in yeast and allow to bloom for 5 minutes
Stir in salt, oil, and brown sugar.
Add Vital Wheat Gluten and Flours, reserving the last ½ cup of bread flour.
Mix ingredients together with paddle attachment to form a soft dough then change attachment to the dough hook and knead for 5-7 minutes, adding ¼ cup of the remaining bread flour in. Knead 1-2 minutes more or until dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl, adding more flour, as necessary.
Turn dough into oiled bowl, cover with oiled parchment or plastic wrap and the damp towel, and proof in warm (80 - 85 F.) spot 60 minutes or until doubled in size.
While dough is proofing, in a small bowl or measuring cup mix and all ingredients together for the Grain and Seeds topping and hold aside
When dough has proofed, gently punch dough down with floured hands and shape into loaf on a floured board. Brush with water and sprinkle with grain and seed mixture, gently pressing mixture into dough.
Proof a second time, covered, until 1 ½ times in volume.
While dough is proofing, heat oven to 350 F.
Bake 40-45 minutes for loaf or 12-15 minutes for rolls or until center reaches 190 F.
This dough can also be made into delicious individual round or knotted rolls or bakes in a more rustic “free-form” loaf.
C&H® Brown Sugar Charcuterie Recipes
Sleighing the Charcuterie Contest
Before you stun your guests this season with a sweet, delicious holiday charcuterie board, enter that platter into the Sleighing the Charcuterie Contest. The lucky winner will receive the Grand Charcuterie Basket from Olympia Provisions provided by C&H® Sugar for one tasty holiday party to remember.