Sweet Potato Pie
- prepared pastry for one-crust 9-inch pie
- 1/2 cup firmly packed C&H® Golden Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup C&H® Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- 1 1/2 cups cooked yams or sweet potatoes, mashed
- 3 eggs, partially beaten
- 3/4 cup milk
Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a 9-inch pie plate with pastry. Trim and crimp edge as desired; set aside.
In a mixing bowl, combine sugars, nutmeg, ginger and salt. Add butter, yams and eggs. Beat lightly just until combined. Add milk, stirring well.
Pour filling into pastry shell. To prevent browning, cover edge of the pie with foil.
Bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil. Lower oven temperature to 350°F; bake 20 minutes longer, or until knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 1 to 2 hours on wire rack.
Refrigerate within 2 hours.
Canned yams or sweet potatoes may be substituted for fresh. One 24-oz. can whole sweet potatoes or yams, drained and rinsed, yields 1 1/2 cups mashed.
For a crisp bottom crust, bake any single or double crust pie in the lower third of the oven.