Peachy Peach Pie
- 5 cups fresh peaches, peeled and sliced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons tapioca
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 1/4 cups C&H® Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 6 tablespoons + 2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 6 tablespoons water, cold
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 to 2 tablespoons half & half or light cream
- 1 to 2 tablespoons C&H® Granulated Sugar
Mix all ingredients together; set aside. Prepare crust.
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Blend together 6 tablespoons flour with cold water and salt; set aside.
Blend remaining 2 cups flour with shortening until dough resembles small peas. Combine both flour mixtures. Divide dough in half. Roll out 1 dough ball quite thin; place in 9-inch pie plate, crimp edges. Add filling.
Roll out remaining dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut dough into 1/2-inch wide strips. Lay half the strips on a lightly floured surface, then pull every other strip back. Place a strip across, return the pulled-back strips to their original position and pull back alternate strips. Continue weaving the strips until they’re all used.
Brush top crust with half & half or cream; sprinkle with sugar. Bake 65 minutes. Check at halfway point; if edges are beginning to brown, cover with aluminum foil.
Featured By: Contest winner Betty Krehbiel
To produce an evenly browned bottom crust, place pie pan on a preheated baking stone.