about 3 dozen cookies
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 cup C&H® Quick Dissolve Superfine Sugar
- 1/2 cup soda cracker crumbs, finely crushed
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
Preheat oven to 300°F. Grease cookie sheet.
In large glass or metal bowl, beat egg whites with salt, cream of tartar and flavorings until foamy. Gradually beat in sugar until stiff and glossy peaks form. Gently fold in cracker crumbs and walnuts so as not to reduce volume. Drop by teaspoon onto cookie sheet.
Bake 40 minutes, until set, but not brown. Cool on rack.
Meringue cookies are easy to make, but require extra care if they are to be at their lightest. Use cool cookie sheets for each batch. Do not double the recipe unless there is adequate oven space. For best results, prepare these on a dry day.