Mango Upside Down Cake
10 to 12 servings
- 4 mangos, peeled, pitted and sliced; divided
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted
- 2/3 cup firmly packed C&H® Golden Brown Sugar
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 2/3 cup C&H® Granulated Sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 9x2-inch round cake pan.
Pat slices of mango dry with paper towels. In small bowl, stir together butter and brown sugar. Spread evenly in prepared pan. Arrange mango pieces from two mangos to your liking on the sugar mixture, reserving the rest for mango puree; set aside.
In the food processor, puree remaining mangos to make 3/4 cup.
Into small bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
In another bowl, with electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until mixture is light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition; beat in vanilla.
Add flour mixture, alternately in batches with pureed mangos, beginning and ending with flour mixture; beat well after each addition. Pour batter into pan, spreading evenly.
Bake cake in middle of oven for 45 to 55 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. Let cake cool in the pan on a rack for 15 minutes, then run a thin knife around the edge; invert onto a platter.