Lemon Meringue Pie
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 pinch cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup C&H® Quick Dissolve Superfine Sugar
- 1 cup C&H® Quick Dissolve Superfine Sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups water, boiling
- 3 egg yolks (retained from 3 separated eggs)
- 2 teaspoons lemon rind, finely grated
- 1/3 cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed (2 to 3 lemons)
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- prepared pastry for one-crust pie, baked
In large glass or metal bowl, beat egg whites with cream of tartar until foamy. (Retain egg yolks for use in filling.)
Gradually beat in sugar until stiff and glossy peaks form.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare crust.
In medium saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt. Gradually stir in water and cook, stirring constantly, 2 to 3 minutes, until mixture is clear and thickened. Remove from heat.
Combine egg yolks, lemon rind and juice; stir into hot mixture. Cook, stirring constantly, 3 minutes longer. Remove from heat and stir in butter; cool. Pour into prepared crust.
Swirl meringue over pie, sealing to crust, before baking.
Bake 12 to 14 minutes, until golden.
For Lime Meringue Pie, substitute lime rind and juice for lemon.