Lemon Cheese Bars
8 to 16 bars
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup pecans, finely chopped
- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
- 1 1/2 cup Confectioners Sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon lemon rind, grated
- 1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice, fresh
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 large egg
- Confectioners Sugar (additional for sprinkling)
Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease 8x8-inch baking pan; set aside.
In a medium bowl, mix flour, pecans, butter, 1/2 cup sugar and lemon rind until blended (mixture will be crumbly). Reserve 1/2 cup crumb mixture; pat remaining mixture into bottom of prepared pan.
Bake 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
In a small bowl, with mixer at low speed, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Add lemon juice and extract, egg and remaining sugar; beat until smooth.
Remove pan from oven. Pour cheese mixture over baked layer in pan; sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture. Bake 35 minutes longer or until golden brown. Cool in pan on wire rack; refrigerate until chilled.
To serve, sprinkle with additional sugar and cut into bars.
To achieve a truly lemony flavor, it is necessary to use both fresh lemon juice and lemon extract.