Fat-Free Carrot Cake
9 to 10 servings
- 2 cups carrots, finely grated and packed
- 1 1/2 cups C&H® Demerara Cane Sugar
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 cup raisins or other dried fruit, chopped
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups flour, unbleached
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
In a saucepan, combine carrots, sugar, water, raisins or dried fruit and vanilla. Bring to a boil; simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, cover and let sit for at least 1 hour.
In a large bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, ginger, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Whisk or stir to combine thoroughly; set aside.
Preheat oven to 300°F about 15 minutes before you are ready to mix the batter. Generously grease and flour a bundt pan.
Stir the cooled carrot mixture into the dry ingredients until no trace of flour is left. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
Bake until cake feels firm (about 1 hour). Cool in pan for 10 minutes on a rack, then invert onto a serving plate.