Rich with the decadent flavors of sweet corn, butter and cream, this splendid side dish is a hearty menu item to include at your next gathering.
- 2 tablespoons butter 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup milk 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream 1/2 cup heavy cream
- C&H® Granulated Sugar ¼ cup ¼ cup C&H® Granulated Sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- 1 1/2 lb. (4 cups) frozen or fresh corn kernels 1 1/2 lb. (4 cups) frozen or fresh corn kernels
In a medium saucepot over medium heat, melt butter.
Stir in flour; then, continue stirring and cooking for 5 minutes.
Reduce heat, if necessary, to keep mixture from browning. Slowly stir or whisk in all remaining ingredients, except corn.
Bring mixture to a boil and stir in corn.
Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring frequently, 15 minutes or until cream sauce is thickened.
An equal amount of flour and butter cooked together is called “roux”. There are many types of roux, but this recipe calls for a blonde roux, which will be used to thicken the gravy but should not have any color to it.
Reduce heat, if bottom of pot begins to scorch while creamy corn is cooking.