about 4 dozen cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup C&H® Granulated Sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon orange zest, grated
- 1 cup almonds or hazelnuts, chopped and toasted
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. In large bowl, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, vanilla and orange zest; beat until well blended. Stir in flour mixture to form a stiff dough. Stir in nuts and chocolate chips. Shape dough into a rough ball and place in freezer to chill, about 15 minutes.
Drop large spoonfuls of dough down the length of the sheet, until 1 inch from the end. Repeat with the remaining dough to form a second strip. Using floured fingers, form each strip into a flat log, 14 inches long and 2 inches wide.
Bake about 25 minutes, or until slightly firm to the touch. Cool for about 5 minutes; then cut logs diagonally with a serrated knife into 3/4-inch slices. Arrange cut-side down on the baking sheet and return to oven until crisp, about 15 minutes. Cool completely.