2 1/4 cups cherries
- 1 (16.5 oz.) can pitted, dark, sweet cherries in heavy syrup
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup C&H® Granulated Sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 tablespoon orange-flavored liqueur (optional)
Drain cherries, reserving liquid; set cherries aside. Add enough water to syrup to equal 1 1/3 cups liquid; set aside.
In a medium saucepan, combine cornstarch and sugar; stir until lumps have disappeared. Gradually add cherry liquid and orange juice; stir until blended. Add almond extract. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture comes to a boil. Cook 1 to 2 minutes until mixture thickens.
Remove from heat, add cherries and stir in orange flavored liqueur, if desired.
Serve warm or cold over ice cream.
If desired, substitute 1 tablespoon orange juice for the orange flavored liqueur.