Black Forest Cookies
about 3 dozen cookies
- 1/3 cup (2/3 stick) butter or margarine, softened
- 1 package (3 oz.) cream cheese, softened
- 2/3 cup C&H® Granulated Sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cans (17 oz.) cherries, dark, sweet and pitted
- 2 cups coconut, flaked
Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare ungreased cookie sheets.
Beat butter, cream cheese and sugar in large bowl until light and fluffy. Add egg yolk and vanilla; mix well.
In small bowl, stir together flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Add to creamed mixture, beating at low speed until well mixed (mixture will be dry).
Drain cherries and reserve liquid. Coarsely chop 10 cherries; set remaining aside for garnish. Add cherry juice to mixture (about 3 tablespoons) until mixture is smooth. Stir in chopped cherries and coconut. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place on prepared cookie sheet, about 2 inches apart.
Bake 10 to 12 minutes, or until lightly browned. Remove from oven; immediately press 1 cherry in the center of each cookie. Cool completely on wire rack.
Featured by Amy M. Spell of N. Syracuse, NY.