Add the resounding crunch of chopped nuts to these light, apricot- filled bars before serving them as a sweet and satisfying after- school snack.
- 3/4 cup dried apricots 3/4 cup dried apricots
- 1/4 cup hot water 1/4 cup hot water
- 2 eggs 2 eggs
- 1 cup C&H® Granulated Sugar 1 cup C&H® Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange rind, grated 1 teaspoon orange rind, grated
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted 1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup pecans or walnuts, chopped 1/2 cup pecans or walnuts, chopped
- C&H® Confectioners Sugar for sprinkling C&H® Confectioners Sugar for sprinkling
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 9-inch square baking pan.
Soak apricots in hot water until soft. Drain well; cut into small pieces.
In large mixing bowl, beat eggs well. Add sugar gradually, beating until mixture is light and foamy. Add orange rind.
In small bowl, stir flour, baking powder, nutmeg and salt together. Blend into egg mixture gradually. Stir in nuts and apricots.
Spread batter into prepared pan. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Set pan on wire rack; cool completely. Sprinkle with confectioners' or powdered sugar. Cut into 1 1/2x3-inch bars.