Besides creating delicious treats, baking gives kids the opportunity to:
- Learn real-world math. Measuring teaches fractions. Cutting brownies or a cake into servings demonstrates division. And waiting for the oven buzzer helps kids understand units of time.
- Develop patience and precision. If you mismeasure or skip a step, your baking project will disappoint.
- Improve reading comprehension and vocabulary. Recipes are good practice for other kinds of instructional reading.
- Cultivate scientific curiosity. What makes a cake rise? What happens when you heat chocolate? Kids love baking “magic” and the explanations behind it.
- Organize and follow through. From shopping for ingredients through cleaning up, baking projects show kids the value of doing a job properly and thoroughly.