Yum Yum Yam Cookies
- 1 cup C&H® Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh yams (see Quick Tip), mashed and cooled
- 1/2 cup raisins or dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup nuts (any kind), chopped
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease cookie sheets.
Beat sugar and shortening in large bowl until fluffy. Add egg and vanilla; mix well. Stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices and salt in small bowl; gradually add to sugar mixture, alternating with yams. Beat until well mixed; stir in raisins and nuts.
Drop on prepared cookie sheets 2 inches apart. Bake 12-15 minutes. Cool 2 minutes then remove from cookie sheet to cooling racks. Cool completely.
Featured By: Therese Neyrey Alberti of Chalmette, LA