Red Velvet Cupcakes
Red Velvet Cupcakes Ingredients
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 2 cups C&H® Granulated Sugar
- 5 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring
Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, softened
- 2 (8-oz.) pkgs. cream cheese, softened
- 2 1-lb. pkgs. (about 3 3/4 cups) C&H® Powdered Sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 drops food coloring (red and blue) for decorations
- Edible star decorations (optional)
Red Velvet Cupcakes Instructions
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 36 muffin cups with paper baking cups. Mix flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt in medium bowl; set aside. Beat butter and sugar in large mixing bowl at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, scraping down sides of bowl with each addition. On low speed, add sour cream, milk, vinegar, vanilla and food coloring. Slowly add in flour mixture and blend until just combined—DO NOT OVERMIX. Fill muffin cups 2/3 full.
Bake 20-25 minutes or until cupcakes spring back when touched. Remove from oven; cool completely in pan. Prepare Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting.
Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting Instructions
Beat butter and cream cheese on medium speed until light and fluffy. Gradually add in sugar; beat until smooth and creamy. Slowly add in vanilla; continue beating for 1 minute.
To create red and blue stars, take two 3/4-cup portions of frosting and place in two separate bowls. Add blue and red food coloring to dye each portion of frosting. Place into 2 zipper-style plastic storage bags, 1 for each color, and cut a small hole in one corner of each bag. Carefully squeeze out frosting in a star design on each cupcake. Add star-shaped edible decorations, if desired.