Hot Spiced Cider
This traditional holiday drink is indispensable on cold winter evenings
- 2 quarts apple cider, fresh
- 16 cinnamon sticks, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves, whole
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice, ground
- 1/4 cup C&H® Superfine Sugar
- 1 lemon peel (yellow part only)
- 1 egg white, slightly beaten (optional, to frost glass)
In saucepan, bring first 6 ingredients (reserve 8 cinnamon sticks for garnish) to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes.
To Frost Mugs or Glasses: Place egg white into small bowl; beat until slightly frothy. Dip rims of 8 mugs or heat-safe glasses into egg whites, then into a dish of Superfine sugar. Strain cider into mugs or heat-safe glasses.
Serve with remaining cinnamon stick placed into each glass, as garnish.